Let’s try to give a “Twist” to a very basic and simple recipe using one of the most delicious summer seasonal veggies: courgette!
- 2 courgettes
- 1 onion
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 3 slices old bread
- 1 tbsp herbs (thyme, oregano, sage)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE COURGETTE TWISTS
- Cut the courgettes into slices about 4-5mm thick.
- Finely chop the onion and place in an oiled pan on a medium heat for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add the courgettes, herbs, pepper and salt and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Prepare the puff pastry sheet: unroll and cut it in rectangles (about 8 per sheet).
- Then cut the short sides of each rectangle in horizontal stripes, about a ⅓ of each side, leaving the centre intact. Watch this video to see how to do this.
- Place the courgette slices in the centre of the puff pastry rectangles.
- Pick a stripe and fold it toward the centre of your pastry on the opposite side, wrapping the courgettes. Repeat for the stripe on the other side and crisscross the pastry until the courgettes are completely wrapped inside.
- Cook in the oven Fan 180ºC for about 15 minutes. Serves warm or cold.
CLYO PARECCHINI, LIVE WELL COORDINATOR
Clyo heads up Wen’s Live Well cooking and food growing courses in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Classes explore in a practical way how diet and lifestyles has an impact on the planet. Attendees learn and try new plant based recipes, spend time in the community garden and enjoy a delicious lunch.