This makes a great main course for dinner at home or for a picnic. The roasted spicy flavours are delicious warm or cold.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED TOMATO SALAD
- Wash and chop the cherry tomato in half.
- Place the tomatoes on an oven tray with some oil, salt, sugar, and rosemary. Cook into the oven for 20 minutes 170ºC. When roasted let them cool down for a few minutes as they can be scorching hot.
- Cook the pearl barley in boiling water for about 30min, then drain and let it cool. Set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and season with some paprika
- Chop the onion finely and mix it with the pearl barley in a large bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and roasted tomatoes to the pearl barley bowl. Serve warm or cold.
CLYO PARECCHINI, LIVE WELL COORDINATOR
Clyo heads up Wen’s Live Well cooking and food growing courses in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Classes explore in a practical way how diet and lifestyles has an impact on the planet. Attendees learn and try new plant based recipes, spend time in the community garden and enjoy a delicious lunch.