WE NEED A MENSTRUAL HEALTH, DIGNITY AND SUSTAINABILITY ACT
Menstruation is a human right as well as a public health issue – it impacts women, girls and people who have periods in many different ways, including health, period taboo and shame, period poverty, waste and pollution and period education.
Wen is drafting the range of issues that could be addressed in a Menstrual Health, Dignity and Sustainability Act (MHDS) such as:
- Regulation for all single-use disposable and reusable period products including production, use and disposal aspects
- Provision for affordable or free access to healthy and sustainable period products including funding for council schemes
- Universal education for all to tackle menstrual taboos and stigma
- Education about the use, care and disposal of products
- Facilities to manage periods with dignity
- Recognition for occupationally related impacts of menstruation and effects of workplace exposures on menstrual cycle
Write to your MP to raise awareness for the need for such an Act.
Use our template letter (coming soon). If possible, do personalise the letter with your concerns.
Email your MP with WriteToThem – this clever website will find your MP and allow you to email them directly.
DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE RIGHT TO SAFE PERIOD PRODUCTS?
- Write or email your MP calling for specific regulations for period products. Find out who your MP is and contact details.
- Want to know what exactly is in your period products? Write to your favourite brand and demand full disclosure.
ARE YOU A MEMBER OF A COMMUNITY GROUP?
Your group could affect change in your local community as part of the Environmenstrual Week of Action by doing a presentation about these important issues to spark discussion. Use our Environmenstrual explainer slide deck and downloadable pdf.
Check out the Environmenstrual Resources Hub for useful tools and information.
ORGANISE A BEACH OR RIVER CLEAN
Get involved in the Million Mile Beach Clean by Environmenstrual Coalition member Surfers Against Sewage.
TAKE ACTION AT SCHOOL/UNIVERSITIES
Are you a school or university student?
Put forward a motion to your school or Student Union to offer eco-friendly menstrual products on your campus using Wen’s template letter.
Are you a parent or carer?
Write or speak to your child’s school about their Period Education Policy. Ask them if they include all menstrual options in their lesson plan. Share information about Wen’s school and university Environmenstrual workshops. Use Wen’s template letter.
Are you a teacher?
Why not get your school involved in the Week of Action by contacting Environmenstrual Coalition Partner City to Sea about their Teacher Training to get your students/pupils engaged?
LEARN MORE ABOUT ENVIRONMENSTRUAL
Wen has a team of Environmenstrual Ambassadors nationwide who are passionate about periods and can deliver workshops in your area.
Check out if any are local to you and think about inviting them to your school, university or workplace. Workshops will cover everything from the reusable options to the environmental and health impacts from single use disposable products.
Workshops can range from 45 minutes – 1.5 hour depending on the needs of the group.
If you would like to book a workshop please contact email@example.com with your location and we will put you in contact with your nearest Environmenstrual Ambassador.