This traditional Italian recipe, featuring all the Mediterranean Summer flavours in one, can be plant-based and delicious at the same time. That’s Amore!
- 1 large Aubergine
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 Mozzarella cheese or Vegan cheese
- 3 slices Old bread
- ½ cup Cornflour
- 2 tsp Herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED AUBERGINE PATTIES
- Cut the aubergines in round slices about 1 cm thick, place them on a plate with a sprinkle of salt and cook in the microwave for 3 min at maximum heat. Or alternatively, place the slice in a colander, add salt, cover, and apply weight on top for 2 hours. This process will help take out the bitter juice from aubergines.
- Crumble the bread in a mixer, in a cup aside whisk the cornflour with water until it becomes a smooth mix.
- Rinse the aubergines, spread on each slice a spoon of tomato sauce, some herbs and place a piece of mozzarella on half of the slices.
- Make a mini aubergine-sandwich pairing up the slices, each one should be filled with a piece of mozzarella.
- Dip each aubergine-sandwich in the cornflour mix, then pass them into the crumbled bread and place them in a baking tray.
- Add some oil and cook in the oven at 200ºC for 25-30 minutes.
CLYO PARECCHINI, LIVE WELL COORDINATOR
Clyo heads up Wen’s Live Well cooking and food growing courses in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Classes explore in a practical way how diet and lifestyles has an impact on the planet. Attendees learn and try new plant based recipes, spend time in the community garden and enjoy a delicious lunch.