NEW GRANT SCHEME
As part of the Just Food and Climate Transition (Just FACT) programme, we’re really excited to be launching a new grant scheme for Tower Hamlets this March.
The scheme will award £200,000 worth of grants to Tower Hamlets focused projects over the next 2 years. The grants will launch on the new Just FACT website on Monday 6th March and will be suitable for local organisations and groups addressing issues around food justice and climate change.
ABOUT JUST FACT
Just FACT is a 5-year partnership programme led by Wen with research from Platform London. The project builds on the amazing work of so many organisations working for a better food system and a Just Transition. You can read more about the local partners involved so far. The programme is funded by The National Lottery Community Fund (TNLCF)’s Climate Action Fund.
WHY JUST FACT?
Food is at the heart of our lives. It’s how we care for ourselves and our families, how we connect with our communities and express our cultures. And because all food comes from the earth, it is the strongest link we have to the planet and the climate crisis we are all facing.
Our current food system contributes to 20% of carbon emissions globally. It’s also an unjust system where far too many people – especially in Tower Hamlets – struggle to get the food they need. We want to achieve food justice in Tower Hamlets, this means equitable access to food that is sustainable, healthy and accessible to everyone.
Through the programme we will create the building blocks for an alternative food system that is democratic, environmentally sustainable, and people-driven.
ABOUT THE GRANTS
Through the Just FACT Action Learning Grants people will identify issues linked to the local food system, then test ideas and solutions to see what works and doesn’t work.
We want to explore how our relationship to the food we eat can be transformed, how to build community power to drive change, and what bigger shifts and systems are needed. We want to know what the challenges and opportunities are in Tower Hamlets to create a food system that works better for everyone.
What we learn through funded projects will contribute to our community-led Blueprint for a climate-friendly and socially just urban food system.
There will be two new grant funds:
Community Hub Fund (£1,000-£10,000) projects will:
- Create the space for conversations and learning together about climate and food issues
- Explore ways of taking action together as a community and/or as social circles
- Build on the cultural, experiential and practical knowledge and skills that already exists within Tower Hamlets
- Value the wider benefits of activities e.g. wellbeing and community connection
- Create a way for learnings to be shared beyond the project, with other people and organisations
Community Lab Fund (£10,000-£40,000) projects will
- Help address climate change, with activities that reduce carbon emissions
- Help build towards a just transition for Tower Hamlets
- Help create a community-driven food system
- Have the potential for impact beyond this grant, by exploring solutions that are replicable, scalable and long lasting
- Involve representation from the local community in developing and delivering the project
- Help create a community-driven food system (this could address how food is produced, traded, transported, and consumed, as well as how waste is managed.
Throughout March we will also run webinars and drop-in events where you can find out more about the grants. Some one-to-one support will also be available for people needing extra support in understanding the information and completing the application form.