Seasonal sauce for pumpkin lovers: easy to make, great with pasta or rice and can be frozen to eat at a later date.
- 300g pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1tsp dried Chili/ spice of your choice
- 1 cup plant based milk (eg oat milk)
- 1tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SAUCE
- Boil the pumpkin in hot water for about 20 minutes or until soft. If it is organic and the peel is thin, you leave the peel on. Extract the core part with seeds when it’s soft.
- Chop the garlic finely
- Blend the pumpkin in a mixer with garlic, oil and plant based milk to make it smoother and fluid.
- Add salt and black pepper, plus some tomato paste (optional) if you like to enrich the flavour, it depends on the variety of pumpkin you are cooking.
- Roughly chop the walnut and add it to your sauce.
- Delicious served with pasta, rice, with bread or with lentils.
Other pumpkin inspired recipes:
CLYO PARECCHINI, LIVE WELL COORDINATOR
Clyo heads up Wen’s Live Well cooking and food growing courses in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Classes explore in a practical way how diet and lifestyles has an impact on the planet. Attendees learn and try new plant based recipes, spend time in the community garden and enjoy a delicious lunch.